1) What poet wrote the following lines?
- FROM fairest creatures we desire increase,
- That thereby beauty's rose might never die.
Choose Your Answer: A: Percy Bysshe Shelley, B: Lord Byron, C: William Shakespeare, D: Geoffrey Chaucer
2) What poet coined the term "Beat" movement?
Choose Your Answer: A: Allen Ginsberg, B: Lawrence Ferlinghetti, C: Jack Kerouac, D: J.D. Salinger
3) Who was the first poet laureate of England?
Choose Your Answer: A: Thomas Shadwell, B: Ben Jonson, C: William Wordsworth, D: William Shakespeare
4) What poet wrote the following lines in the poem "Waste Land"?
- APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
- Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
- Memor and Desire, stirring
- Dull roots with spring rain.
Choose Your Answer: A: Walt Whitman, B: Emily Dickinson, C: T.S. Eliot, D: Christopher Cranch
5) Which of the following playwrights wrote his plays in verse in an attempt to return tragic poetry to the American stage?
Choose Your answer: A: Maxwell Anderson, B: William Inge, C: Lanford Wilson, D: William Vaughn Moody
6) Who wrote the following poem entitled "Question "?
- WHEN the old junk man Death
- Comes to gather up our bodies
- And toss them into the sack of oblivion,
- I wonder if he will find
- The corpse of a white multi-millionaire
- Worth more pennies of eternity,
- Than the black torso of
- A Negro cotton-picker?
Choose Your Answer: A: Claude McKay, B: Langston Hughes, C: Ntozake Shange, D: George Moses Horton
7) What famous poem begins with the following line?
"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary..."
Choose Your Answer: A: "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe, B: "Paul Revere's Ride" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, C: "The Dance of the Dead" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, D: "The Ghost" by Charles Baudelaire
8) Who was the first poet to win the Nobel Prize in Literature?
Choose Your Answer: A: William Butler Yeats, B: Rabindranath Tagore, C: Sully Prudhomme, D: T.S. Eliot
9) Which of the following was NOT considered a Harlem Renaissance poet?
Choose Your Answer: A: Langston Hughes, B: Claude McKay, C: James Weldon Johnson, D: Archibald Lampman
10) Which of the ancient Greek dramatists is generally considered to have been the greatest in terms of the poetic value of his plays?
Choose Your Answer: A: Aeschylus, B: Sophocles, C: Euripides, D: Aristophanes